These Student Leaders for Global Understanding are selected from local public and private high schools for an 18-month program in which they learn social entrepreneurship skills. The Fellows meet with experts to design sustainable solutions for social or environmental problems. Fellows then implement the solutions in their communities. The Class of 2008/09 is made up of 30 sophomores and juniors. They are outstanding kids, eager to develop leadership skills and make a difference.
For the 2008 Ambassadors Cup, players included:
- Tom Korologos, former US Ambassador to Belgium
- Ann Korologos, former US Secretary of Labor
- Dominique Struye de Swielande, Belgian Ambassador to the US
- Urs Ziswiler, Swiss Ambassador to the US
- Ronit Ziswiler (wife of Ambassador Ziswiler)
- Beverly Perry, Senior Vice President, Pepco Holdings
- Greg O’Dell, CEO and General Manager, Walter E. Washington Convention Center Authority
- Mark Michael, CEO, Occasions Caterers
- Micheal Wilson, Canadian Ambassador to the US
- Beverly Perry was awarded the 2008 IFE Leadership Award for her philanthropic work in the Washington DC area. Mayor Anthony Williams, recipient of the 2007 IFE Leadership Award and IFE Board Member, presented the Award.
- Greg O’Dell won the tournament with a very respectable 87 on the challenging Blue Course. He birdied the 8th hole thanks to a beautiful second shot that finished only 18 inches from the cup.
- Ambassador Urs Ziswiler came in second. He shot an 88, only one stroke above the winner.
- Secretary Ann Korologos shot the lowest net score, a sizzling 63.
- Ambassador Dominique Struye de Swielande won “Most Improved” for showing his tenacity and grit all the way through the round.
- Mark Michael hit his tee shot over the water hazard to
- within 8 feet on the beautiful par-3 10th.
- Ronit Ziswiler made the putt of the day, a 60-footer on the undulating 9th green for par.
- Ambassador Tom Korologos was the steadiest driver and putter. He hit almost every fairway and parred both the 16th and 17th holes thanks to excellent long putts (each from about 30 feet).
Thanks to Pepco Holdings for sponsoring the event.